When I write articles, I am always guided to do so. Some days I do automatic writing, which is writing down every word I hear Spirit say, or other days they just send me the idea to write about something. I ask them to guide my words, and sometimes they do it so well I don’t even notice what I’ve written till its done! It should be understood that ALL our inspirations come from Spirit and our Higher Self, so I’m never really creating by myself.
Today I was told very clearly, “Write about exercise and how to stay motivated!” Well, OKAY then Captain, here we go!
One of the most common New Year’s resolutions is to work out more and improve our bodies. These resolutions quickly fall by the wayside as we let daily duties weigh us down and indulge in unhealthy foods for a number of emotional reasons such as stress or lack of confidence. If you are unmotivated to exercise, know that you’re not alone! Especially if you live in a cold region like me, (Minnesota, brrrr!) where below zero temperatures make it tough to get outside (my personal preferred way to work out)! The motivation to exercise has always been difficult for me, and at my heaviest I weighed 250 lbs. I’m happy to say in the last few years I have lost over 30 lbs and counting, and I am feeling happier with my body with each passing day as I fell into a normal exercise routine. The remarkable thing is, I felt more motivation as I became more involved with spiritual growth and studies. This shows that taking care of body and spirit are not separate things, but intertwined as one.
We know that there are definite physical health benefits to exercise, but here are some metaphysical benefits as well:
1) Exercise is a way to communicate to your body, “I love you and respect you.” How wonderful and validated would you feel if someone said that to you every day? Well, if you put in a little exercise several times a week, you are essentially sending that message to yourself on a frequent basis. When we give that message to our body, we ultimately give that same message to our soul as well. This helps us gain confidence, realize self-love and puts us in touch with our Higher Self.
2) Exercise helps you with your life purpose. Wait, what? HOW? Well, when you exercise on a regular basis, you automatically are investing in yourself and giving yourself permission to DO. Thought is the beginning of creation, (and we are all creators), words are the middle step (affirmations, writing, etc) but ACTION is how creation is carried out. When we engage in ACTION, especially in the action of self-care, we are sending the message to the universe that we are doing our part. What’s more, regular exercise gives your body more energy, and more energy is just what we need when we have work and growth ahead of us.
Understanding that might give you a little more motivation. However, here’s a few ways to help you with exercise and motivation:
1) Ask Spirit and your angels to help you with motivation. You’ll find once you do this, you’ll have little “pop up” thoughts during the day where you see yourself exercising, and it FEELS like a good idea to you. Those are memos sent by your angels! Follow through with them. You’ll have days where you just don’t want to do it, so ask, “Angels, please help motivate me to exercise today.” You’ll find that later in the day you’ll break down and just DO IT, and you’ll be so happy that you did.
2) Try not to look at exercise as a chore, but as fun! Taking walks outside are my favorite, but when I can’t get outside, I have a hula hoop and jump rope and I listen to big band music while I do it! It feels like playing to me (I let me imagination run free and pretend I’m in the circus) and gets me in touch with my inner child in addition to giving me a good work out!
When I was looking for good indoor exercises, I asked my angels to help me find something. The next day I woke up with the idea of ”hula hoop”. Completely random! Yet I couldn’t get online fast enough to find a weighted, 3 lb hula hoop….its like I just HAD to have it. And I had never heard of an ”exercise hoop” before! Thank you angels for putting this idea into my head, because I am in love with it, and they KNEW that already. They will help you too if you just ask. Remember, it might not be in an obvious way, so pay attention to your thoughts and what others say to you, what you see on television or online, and see if something *sparks* in you and gives you a sense of, “Hey…I LIKE that idea.” That’s your angels helping you out and sending you ideas!
3) Write it down. Write reminders on your calendar, planner or put up notes on a wall with affirmations and motivational sentences to get you going. Seeing a visual reminder keeps it fresh in your mind and leaves little room to forget about it.
4) Change it up. I love my exercise TOYS, but sometimes I want a lower-impact workout, so I do yoga. I cannot endorse yoga enough, but if its not for you, try a few things so you don’t get bored. Remember we come from Spirit, and Spirit has the ability to do infinite things at once, so its no surprise that we can get bored with the same thing on Earth day after day when we used to be able to do so many things at the same time when we were in spirit form! So know that you DO need a variety of things, for every aspect of your life. If you eat the same thing every day, you eventually get tired of it. Think of exercise in the same way…you don’t want to get bored!
5) Get a buddy. Although this is not my preferred choice, as exercise is also a meditation-like experience for me, sometimes meeting with someone at a scheduled hour several times a week will help keep you on track. “Well, if THEY’RE going to do it, I might as well do it…” is how our thoughts work, and we hate to disappoint. However, consider that perhaps your souls are also helping each other out to become more aligned, and it becomes a treasured shared experience.
Whatever you do, start with the thoughts, “I am worth taking care of,” and the affirmation, “Every day I lovingly take care of myself and exercise my body.” Affirmations WORK, and if you say it enough times, it will become second nature to you. And never forget to hire some angels to help you find the motivation and the perfect form of exercise for you.